1. General Information
Alanya Ultra Trail starts from Marina Square, which is the symbol of the city, and passes through Castle Walls, Damlataş Cave and banana fields reaching up to the peak of Taurus via historical caravan routes, yuruks paths and tracks.
The race starts on April 1, 2023, at 06:30 am from Marina Square. Participants should finish the course under 15 hours in a semi-sufficient way, i.e. they should carry equipment that is necessary to ensure the safety of their run for possible weather conditions.
The event is open to anyone aged 18 and over who are in possession of either (a) a valid medical certificate, which does not expire before April 1, 2023, and indicates that the person can participate to long-distance runs or (b) a valid license issued by the athletics federation, cycling federation, orienteering federation, mountaineering federation or triathlon federation. These documents will be checked by the organization before the race. The participants should have athletic preparation and have clothes for variable weather conditions and temperature differences, especially high altitudes.
a) Registration procedure
Only registered runners can participate in the event. Online registration at alanyaultra.com website closes on March 21, 2023, or when the maximum number of 750 participants has been reached.
The deadline for the course change is March 21, 2023. The course change cannot be made for a course that has reached the participant limit.
A registration cannot be transferred and the organization will not allow another person to run on behalf of a registered participant.
b) Registration fee
There are two different types of the registration fee;
- - Non-refundable registration fee: 70 Euros
- - Fully refundable registration fee: 75 Euros (Full refund if registration is cancelled before February 14, 2023)
- - Registration fee after February 14, 2023: 75 Euros (Non-refundable).
You will be charged in TL, Euros or USD according to your choice.
The registration fee must be paid with a Visa or MasterCard credit card at the time of registration. Only registrations with full payment will be taken into consideration for the maximum participant limit. The organization has the right to reduce this fee under certain conditions.
Registration fee includes:
- - Race Bib
- - Timing chip
- - Assistance and refreshments at the checkpoints along the route
- - Refreshments after the race
- - Finisher medal for participants who successfully complete the race in time limits
The refundable registration fee will be refunded fully within a month if a registration is cancelled before February 14, 2023. There won't be any refunds after this date.
Cancellation of the registrations can only be made by notifying the organization by email to [email protected]
No refund of the registration fee will be made should the race be cancelled or interrupted due to reasons beyond the control of the organization, such as bad weather conditions.
4. Distribution of Race Packs
Race packs including the race bibs will be distributed at the Race Office in Alanya city centre on the dates listed below.
- March 31, 2023 Friday: Between 10:00 & 22:00.
- April 1, 2023 Saturday: Between 04:45 & 05:30.
5. Race Start
The race starts on April 1, 2023, at 06:30 a.m from Marina Square. Participants are required to be at the start area at least 30 minutes in advance, i.e. 06:00 am.
There will be changing rooms and a drop bag area at the start and finish area. The drop bags can be retrieved at 38.km, 5th checkpoint and at the end of the race by showing the race bib. The organization cannot be held responsible for any items left unattended in or outside of the bag deposit area and with the bags without number.
6. Race Route
Alanya Ultra Trail with a total distance of 73 km with a variation in altitude of 3700+ m.
Most of the route is on paths, single tracks and rocky ground with dense vegetation in certain sections. Participants are strongly advised to have experience in running on such terrain.
The route will be marked with reflective bands and other signage. Any departures from the official route entail disqualification.
7. Checkpoints and Time Limits
There are 8 checkpoints along the race route. Passages from these points will be timed and various refreshments will be available. Participants who arrive at a checkpoint after the designated time limit will not be allowed to continue further than this point.
When leaving a checkpoint, participants should have sufficient water and food which will be enough till to the next one. The refreshments at the checkpoints are only for the consumption of the runners carrying a visible race bib.
Participants can get external support at designated areas in the checkpoints. Supporters can accompany the participants by running pre and post 200 m of a checkpoint. Getting support outside the checkpoints are not allowed.
Shuttle buses will be present at the checkpoints to pick up the participants who withdrawn or are injured and take them back to the finish area. Participants who abandon the race between two checkpoints should inform the organization as soon as possible from Emergency Line: +90 535 545 18 78 and get to the closest checkpoint or the finish area.
At 38. km checkpoint,5th CP; participants can also collect their drop bags. The participants should return their drop bags before they leave from this checkpoint. The organization cannot be held responsible for any items left unattended in or outside of the bag deposit area.
Besides the Checkpoints, there may also be timekeeping to avoid short-cuts.
8. Finishers' Buffet
Finishers who finish or abandon the race will be able to join the finishers' buffet which will be serving from 11:00 to 21:00 on April 1, 2023.
Finishers buffet will be serving home-made soup, pasta, hot and cold drinks.
9. Environmental Awareness
The race takes place in an important tourism destination in Turkey with a natural ecosystem. Participants are therefore required to fully respect the natural environment, in particular by not throwing away rubbish and harm the natural habitat. Acting otherwise shall lead to disqualification. In order to reduce the amount of garbage, there won't be any plastic cups at the refreshment points. Participants are required to carry their own drinking cups or water bottles.
10. Health and Safety
In case of bad weather conditions, such as dense fog or storm, the organization reserves the right to make last-minute changes in order to prevent potential hazards or difficult conditions for the participants. This may include suspending or cancelling the race or making modifications to the route. The participants should obey these decisions. Any changes will be announced to the participants before the race, or at refreshment points during the race.
Medical teams and/or ambulance will be present at the checkpoints and at the important points determined by the organization. Their exact location will be announced before the race. Medical teams can check the participants during the race and decide to stop their race if deemed necessary for health reasons. The participants should obey these decisions otherwise will be disqualified.
The event organizer has decided upon the implementation of health policy measures during Alanya Ultra. This preventive action does not replace the current national and international regulations regarding anti-doping campaigns but aims to strengthen the medical supervision set up by the event organizers, in accordance with their safety-health-assistance programme. These measures are managed jointly by the International Trail Running Association (ITRA) and the event organizer. This preventive action will be implemented by a medical commission, consisting of doctors, which can take advice from experts as it considers appropriate and which will be able to express a consultative opinion to the event organizer’s jury on the medical condition of participants.
Each participant agrees to:
- Declare to the Health Commission the following medical information:
o Any medical history and/or pathology, in particular, those which may increase risks during the practice of a sport
o The use of regular treatments or medication during the 30 days prior to the start of the competition
o Request or use of a substance or method subject to a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)
- Accept to provide all urinary and/or blood and/or hair and/or salivary samples required from 30 days before the competition and up to 7 days after the competition. He/she also consents to the associated analysis of these samples, on the understanding that the costs for the sampling and analyses are covered directly by the Organization.
- Accept not to participate in the competition if glucocorticoids have been used, without any relation to the mode of administration and therefore the presence or not of a TUE, within the 7 days before the start of the competition. The use of glucocorticoids may be identified in the context of the analysis carried out, either from a direct dosage or in the case of abnormally low cortisol.
- Accept to answer any meeting request on-site or remotely (phone or videoconference) that the Health Commission may ask for in order to discuss their ability or not, to participate in the competition.
- Accept the use of strictly anonymous data for research purposes. Each participant has a right of access, rectification and opposition to data concerning him. The Health Commission is the authority with which the participant can exercise this right.
The declaration of medical information to the Health Commission is done through the ITRA health space that each participant can activate after having created a free runner account on the ITRA website: itra.run. The declared medical information is only accessible by the doctors of the Health Commission or in the event of medical care being carried out during the competition the declared medical information will also be made available to the medical team.
Any unreasonable breach, refusal, or transmission of erroneous information in connection with QUARTZ Event program can result in the exclusion of the participant from the competition.
11. Mandatory Equipment
During the race, the participants are obliged to carry the mandatory items listed below:
- - At least 1 lt of water with camel-bag or water bottle (not–disposable).
- - Race bib (should be visible all times and will be given by the organisation)
- - Mobile phone (organization and emergency numbers should be present)
- - Emergency blanket
- - Whistle
- - Waterproof outer shell
- - Reflective Vest (Reflective band or vest with reflective stripes)
- - Hat, cap or bandana
- - Working headlamp with spare batteries
- - Cup or water bottle (there won't be plastic cups at refreshment points)
- - Appropriate Running Footwear
- - Timing chip (distributed by the organization)
Those will be checked before distributing the race bib and at any point during the race and spot checks will be performed during the race. Participants without any of the mandatory items shall be disqualified and will not be allowed to continue the race.
In addition to the list above, the following materials are strongly recommended;
- - Food (e.g. energy gels or bars)
- - Long sleeve shirt
- - Gloves
- - Elastic bandage
- - Trekking Poles
- - Gaiter
- - Trail Running Shoes
Participants running with poles should carry them from start to finish; they cannot leave the poles at any intermediate point.
12. Disqualification and Time Penalties
The following actions lead to immediate disqualification from the race:
- - Not passing from any of the checkpoints.
- - Taking a shortcut or using a vehicle.
- - Getting support except for designated refreshment points.
- - Failing to help a participant in difficulty.
- - Throwing away rubbish or harming the natural habitat.
- - Rejecting to be checked by the medical personnel.
- - Not obeying the decisions given by the medical personnel or organization.
- - Not carrying the mandatory items, or rejecting their check by the organization.
A disqualified participant will not be allowed to continue the race.
For participants running with poles, leaving them at an intermediate point before the finish is subject to the 1-hour time penalty.
Partial results during the race and the official results after the race will be announced at alanyaultra.com website. Results will be ranked in the following categories:
- - Men/Women Overall
- - Men/Women 40- (1984 - Born before 1st April 2005)
- - Men/Women 40+ (1974 - 1983)
- - Men/Women 50+ (1973 and older)
There are no cash prizes. Each participant who completes the race within the time limit will be given a finisher medal.
Non-monetary prizes shall be awarded to the first 3 participants in the following categories:
15. Rights of Visual Material Use
The participants authorize the Organization and sponsors to freely use any images and videos depicting them during the event.
16. Waiver of Responsibility
Voluntary registration and subsequent participation in Alanya Ultra indicates full acceptance of the rules and any changes they may have to undergo. By registering, the participant exempts the organizers from any liability, whether civil or criminal, for damage to persons and/or property caused by or to him/her. All participants who have filled in the participation form are deemed to have accepted the conditions of the competition.